On my walk ... the herring gull

 


On any stroll along the prom in Sidmouth you will see herring gulls. Despite popular belief herring gull populations are in decline as they struggle with diminishing natural food supplies and nesting habitats. They have become quite resourceful and have adapted their behaviour to nest on roof tops and to scavenge for scraps that humans leave behind although that scavenging seems to be reaching the point where they will boldly take food before humans have left it behind!

The herring gull is a stocky bird and not something one would wish to tangle with especially when it is in the air near you and in some places it is claimed visitors are staying away because of the gulls. In Swanage recently a local started a petition to try and get the town council to 'cull' them as they are considered to be a nuisance. It is, I think, a shame that we humans act in a way that encourages animals to become what we then consider to be a nuisance and then our answer is to want to kill off the poor animal who is just trying to survive.

This is a 'man' made problem and it is true that herring gulls have become almost fearless and quite aggressive. This is a youngster who showed no fear when I stopped just a few feet away to take its photograph and it seemed quite prepared, not only to stand its ground, but to fight back if the need arose.

It is a shame they have such a bad press as they are, to my mind anyway, part of the seaside experience especially their 'laughing' call. A trip to the seaside without gulls would surely be an impoverished experience.


Comments

  1. I agree with your view, but it will not be popular in Sidmouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether my opinion is popular or not is of no consequence. It is only my opinion and others are free to agree or disagree, I have no problem with that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

On my walk ... the dipper

On my walk ... the marmalade hoverfly