On my walk ... the parasol mushroom


The fields up at Combe Farm on Salcombe Hill currently have a display of these, the parasol mushroom [Macrolepioate procera]. Sadly, when I was there the specimens were past their best so I raided my photograph library for this picture.

It is both one of the most distinctive species of fungi through its large size, the caps can sometime be nine or ten inches across, and one of the most common, well in the south of England that is, it is less common in the north. That said, there are some similar species which are less common.

This is primarily a species of grasslands, especially amongst the short grasses of parkland and grazing pasture but it does occur in woodlands along open paths and rides as well. 

My book says this makes excellent eating but accurate identification is essential; I think I will err on the side of caution and give them a miss.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On my walk ... the dipper

On my walk ... the herring gull

On my walk ... the marmalade hoverfly